Sunday, February 26, 2012

Week 12: Meaningful People

There's been quite a lapse between week 11 and week 12 because I really didn't know who to write about, nor how to write about them in a way that would adhere to the anonymity of the blog-o-sphere.

A picture from one of our adventures, taken July 2010
Family aside, there are a few people that I can't imagine my life without.  My friend JC is one of those people.  JC and I met almost ten years ago, but I feel like I've known her my whole life.  JC taught me what true friendship is like, and our friendship means the world to me.  We both lead very separate and busy lives, but when we get together, it's as if no time has passed.  I'd drop anything on a moments notice to be there for her if she needed, and she's done the same for me.  JC makes my life a lot fuller, a lot brighter, and fills it with a lot more love. 

I've always wanted a big sister, and throughout life, I've met a few people who played that role nicely.  However, I've never met anyone like MJ before.  I may only privy to bits and pieces of her life, but from what she's shared, she has shown me that there is so much possibility in the world, that there is no reason to ever give up hope.  MJ has walked parts of my path, she's faced some of my biggest fears.  She is proof that life can begin at any age.  If it happened for her, it can happen for me.  If she lived through it, so too can I.  MJ may not be my big sister, (and no amount of wishing will change that,) but I am so grateful that she's guiding me on this leg of life adventures.  She gives me hope that I can one day find the same happiness that she worked to find and now enjoys.

Last, but far from least, is E.  I feel like I've been on a tumultuous life voyage that I didn't intend to sign up for.  I've gotten support for these life "adventures" from many along the way (professionals included,) but I've never, ever, ever, encountered anything like the support I get from E.  It's actually been unsettling for me to have someone who is unwaveringly there for me.  I'm no picnic to work with, (as many people have told me,) but E is different.  Doesn't matter what I bring to the table.  When we meet, E is always calm and steady and caring and clear and patient and is somehow able to help me get what I need, whether I'm willing to face it or not.  I don't quite know how to explain it, but somehow, as long as I have E in my corner, I know that I'll be able to make it through anything life throws at me.

I can count the number of special people in my life on only two hands (those mentioned here, along with JC, MJ, and E, as well as EH, L.)  It goes to show that strength doesn't necessarily come numbers.  Sometimes all it takes is a special few to make more difference than a room full of people.

"Most of us, swimming against the tides of trouble the world 
knows nothing about, need only a bit of praise or encouragement 
and we will make the goal." -- Jerome Fleishman

4 comments:

  1. Hope everything goes well for you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The people you mentioned are so meaningful to you because they perfectly fill in the missing pieces in your life. "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." - Marcel Proust on Relationship quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Proust quote! You are right - the people that are meaningful to me do fill in many of the missing pieces in my life. The rest of the holes, I guess I'm supposed to fill myself... with help, I hope?

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

So? What do you think?