Friday, June 29, 2012

Week 19: Favorite Time of Year

My favorite time of year has got to be Fall... or maybe Spring.... that's a tough one.  I'm going to do what I tell my students never to do - I'm not going to pick just one answer.  I'm just glad I live in a place where we have four distinct seasons, each with their own gifts.

Autumn 2011
I love fall, or autumn, depending on your word choice.  I love the crispness in the air, how the world smells just a little different, at least where Iive.  You can smell the leaves changing color as much as you enjoy the beauty of them.  The cider mills open, and there is nothing like fresh pressed, unpasteurized, apple cider.  Caramel apples, spiced cider, pumpkin pie... all delicious gifts of fall.  Usually the weather is pretty cooperative, too.  Just right for capris and long sleeves with a comfy vest.  Still warm enough to be out without a jacket, but not so warm that you're sweating your socks off.  There is something special about the crunch of fallen leaves on a peaceful walk in the fall.  It truly is my favorite season to wander the world.

Spring 2012
Now, I also enjoy spring.  Spring is the season of renewal, of hope, of new growth.  I love watching the apple blossoms burst through the buds on the branches of the trees in my yard.  I like seeing the flowers peeking out from the earth, stretching their way toward the cloudless blue sky.  Peeling off the layers of winter gear, it feels so nice to be outside without the heaviness of a jacket and hat and scarf.  Fresh fruits fill the fridge to top my breakfast cereal and snack on.  The spring walks lend themselves to pictures of baby animals scurrying about to explore their new world.  The air smells fresh and clean after the chill of winter.  Everything gets to start fresh in the spring.

This is one of those times where I'd definitely not get a passing grade on my paper, since I was asked to choose my favorite time of year.  I'd likely get good marks for creativity and word choice, but for following the directions?  This time I'll just have to accept the low score!


No comments:

Post a Comment

So? What do you think?