Wednesday, January 23, 2013

A Foodie Post

It's no secret that food and I don't get along. With the plethora of allergies I have to deal with, it's no wonder cereal is my favorite meal - it's easy, it doesn't leave me covered in hives, and it doesn't wreak havoc on my digestive system.

Thankfully, my nutritionist has the patience of a saint and she's always looking for creative ways for me to expand my palate. Right now, we're working on increasing my daily intake of vegetables, and last week, she shared this great idea - creating veggie boxes.  What you do is prep and pack ahead of time, so that you have these little boxes, full of veggies, ready to grab and toss in a lunch bag, briefcase, whatever!

For me, the big task is getting things prepped and packed each day, so considering I can pack this up for the whole week? I'm giving it a try.  I bought my three favorite vegetables - sweet peppers, cucumbers, and broccoli. I washed em and chopped them and packed them all up!

I gave it a try last week, and surprisingly, I ended up eating all my veggies!  So far this week, I'm two for two in the veggie jar department. Tonight, I packed four days worth of veggie jars... wish me luck!


5 comments:

  1. Ohhh, such a good idea! I might try this. I love fresh vegetables, but HATE getting out of bed in the mornings, which means that despite my best intentions, I usually end up grabbing lunch at work while my vegetables languish in the fridge...;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both hate getting out of bed! Five minutes sleep is a big deal in the morning! I have to say, it's been nice so far... no excuses not to eat them cause the veggies are already cut into bite size bits and ready to go!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I may have to try this too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really has been nice! I figure that even on the weekends, when I am mulling around the kitchen looking for something to do, I have jars ready to go so I don't lose the weekend days of veggie eating!

      Delete
  3. I used to keep cherry tomatoes, cucumber and carrot in the same way. Ideal.

    ReplyDelete

So? What do you think?