Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Act 2

As I am being very deliberate in my acts of kindness, Act 2 took longer than I intended.  Yes, I have been doing my usual daily kindness, but the intentionality of #26 Acts is different, at least for me.

During rush hour, I was heading out of the grocery store parking lot.  The first exit had a long line of cars waiting, so I went to the next one, and was quickly able to exit. As the light at the intersection was red, I purposely paused to let the first car out.  And the second.  And the third.  And the fourth. And the fifth.

Yes, it was rush hour.  Yes, it was the end of a long, exhausting day for me.  Yes, I know that everyone was probably in a "rush" to get home, as was I.  But I was not in enough of a rush to ignore cars waiting to exit a busy parking lot.  I've been there before, waiting, hoping, praying that someone would let me out.  It's not fun.  So this time, I did something about that.

And I did it in memory of bright eyed, brown haired, six year old Olivia Engel.  Olivia was supposed to play an angel in her church's nativity play the evening she was killed.  Olivia loved school, she loved helping her teacher, being line leader, and excelled at math and reading.  She was an active child, participating in everything she could - from tennis to Daisy's.  Olivia will be remembered by everyone as a kind, well-mannered child, and will be sorely missed.

4 comments:

  1. I love your deliberate acts and how you are taking the time to help us get to know these beautiful children. A truly beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm tempted to put their pictures in the post, too, but am not sure how that will feel.

      Delete
  2. I also love how particularly and deliberately you are carrying through with these acts of kindness. I always look forward to reading your posts, but I have a special place in my heart for these ones. Each one reminds me of a candle being lit. A flame, a holy hush. Beauty in the darkness. A remembered name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl! I like the vision of a candle being lit, that's my intention with these intentional acts.... let these names light the future....

      Delete

So? What do you think?