Wednesday, September 25, 2013

2nd Annual National Psychotherapy Day!

Exactly one year ago, Ryan Howes, Ph.D., launched the first ever National Psychotherapy Day.  In the past 365 days, the support for NPD has ballooned, and includes therapy greats like Irvin Yalom, among others.

Once again, I am strongly promoting and supporting NPD, because I believe, as do many others I know, that therapy has saved my life on so many levels.

The media has been all a buzz lately, attempting to tackle the "mental health crisis" that has sprung up across the nation.  Thing is, it hasn't really sprung up.  It's finally getting some attention.  Some much deserved attention, that sadly has sprung up as a result of numerous crises, often exacerbated by the media.

Mental health is equally as important as physical health.  There is no shame in going to the doctor when you are having physical challenges, why is it so shame-filled and embarrassing to go to the psychotherapist when you're having some emotional challenges?

Let me debunk one myth that I know is common, at least among my peers.

Therapy is not for the weak.  It's not for the broken.  It's not for the sissies, the wimps, the losers, the damaged, the lost......

It's for those who are strong.  It's for those who want to make changes in their lives.  It's for those who are looking to repair the broken parts of life, to move past the bullies, the naysayers, the ones lying in the gutter looking at the stars.  It's for the believers, the dreamers, the wishers, the hopers, the doers, the ones who think differently, who believe there is more in life than what they currently have.

Therapy is for everyone. 
Except the close minded.

So today, on this second annual National Psychotherapy Day, maybe you're ready to step up and be strong.  Maybe you're ready to accept some much needed help to get you to that place in your dreams.  Maybe you're already there, working with a therapist that supports you, and you're ready to step out of the proverbial therapy closet and invite others to give it a try.....


4 comments:

  1. Very well said, Violet! I marked this day on my calendar, yet forgot to write about it!

    I'm glad you did, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you, Amanda! I'd been percolating over the post for a while, and, well, this is what came out!

      Delete
  2. Lord knows, therapy has helped me to deal with my anxiety attacks. Just having a safe place to share my pain and frustrations helped so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about therapy being a safe place - the safest, in my mind!

      Delete

So? What do you think?