Tuesday, September 10, 2013

World Suicide Prevention Day

Today marks World Suicide Prevention Day.  This whole week, actually, is suicide awareness week and there are tons of blogs and sites doing all sorts of things to raise awareness of and funds to prevent suicide.

One such blog is Post Secret, which is a favorite of mine.  They are working with IMAlive to raise money to provide 24/7 crisis support to anyone in need.

Last year, I posted some statistics and resources about suicide.  The stats are still mind boggling. 

<--- This one, in particular, crushes me to think about.  There is still so much of a stigma around mental health, that people are willing to risk everything to keep their mental issues invisible, which often ends in abysmal results.

Speak up.  Be heard.  You do matter.  You can make a difference.

It may be over 30 years, but I still feel the effects of the death of my uncle, whom I never met, as even all these years later, his suicide still haunts my mother and family......  The suicide of one person ripples well into the world....

No comments:

Post a Comment

So? What do you think?